Monday, July 29, 2013

German Spicy is kind of like Water



So you know that piece of skin between your bottom front teeth and your gums? Yea, well I have a lovely canker-sore there. Yay for mouth problems… This hasn't stopped me from eating food though. I am an Asian Warrior, I can handle the pain (inside joke with 11th grade english class). 

Things I have learned about Germany so far:

Netflix is illegal
My brown Birkenstocks are for men
They wear tons of bright colors here
If you ask for "water" in a restaurant they will give you fizzy water
They go swimming in freezing water when it's cold and windy and about to storm
They call NCIS, Navy CIS
Their opinion of spicy is my opinion of bland, like really. Kate you'd think so too

These obviously don't stand for the entire country, and I should've known some beforehand.


I have been using children's books to learn german words. They are really good tools because they use short sentences with easy words. I feel so smart when I read them. My host family has also been really good about naming things for me. This happens almost all the time and is really helpful.

I went to a history museum all about the island Führ that I'm currently living on. It was very interesting and had models of old houses and boats. The richest people on Führ way back when were whale hunters. I also visited the oldest landmark on Führ. It's an old living area of the Vikings. It was cool, they were pretty advanced for their time. 

No worries Dad, I'm staying plenty active with tennis lessons, bike rides, freezing cold swims, and hour+ dog walks.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos -- beautiful! For what it's worth, it's been too cold to (comfortably) swim here the last few days too. Dad's predictably thrilled about tennis lessons, etc. (And I'm sorry about your Birkenstocks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care about the Birkenstocks. I saw another woman wearing some too. I think the style is just directed more towards men.

      Delete
  2. Mari--I've been reading your blog but have had a few technical issues with the commenting. (As in, my name kept coming up as "Wisconsin Mom," which I used for Carrie and Jeff's China blog.) Maybe it's fixed now, though, so I can comment once in awhile.

    It sounds as though you are having an amazing time, though I don't envy the cold swimming! Thanks for posting all those great pictures too. Now you know: You should have brought Reeses as your hosting gifts! We are thinking of you . . . stay safe and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS. Still "Wisconsin Mom." Oh well. (By the way--it's your aunt Kathy here!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try asking for ice in your glass with water or pop - it doesn't exist! As for water in restaurants ask for "Ein Wasser ohne Gas" (water without gas, literally). Keep learning lots and having fun - reading about your experiences reminds me of all my firsts! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to keep you with your adventures on the blog! And, your house looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete