Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Minnesota dontcha know


I know this is long overdue, but now that I'm in Fuerteventura, I finally have some down time to write. So expect a bunch of reading. Hopefully I'll be able to upload soon, but the wifi here is really bad… 

Praktikum is a two week job practice for grade 12. The rest of the school continues to go to classes only grade 12 leaves. Everyone gets to choose where they want to work. Because of the language barrier, it wouldn't have been beneficial for me to work in a normal German business. Instead I went to Osteeschule with Greta. There I helped one of the English teachers, Katie Krieger. Coincidentally, she is also from Minnesota. It was really cool to be able to see and talk with her. Osteeschule is more of a Montessori school type set-up. When the kids are younger they decide what they want to learn. There are of course requirements, but one project can cover multiple subjects. As the students grow older, there is less freedom because they need to prepare for the National tests. It was really cool to see the different style of learning. 

I really feel like i helped some kids improve their English. Mostly I helped with translations and grammar. I even corrected the packet a couple of times.

Contractions:
The birds are not flying. They are sitting. 
The birds'rnt flying. They are sitting. 

Apparently their old English teacher made the packets. She was from England. I wasn't aware, however, that people from England used these contractions…

Katie left a couple days before praktikum ended to fly back to Minnesota for her brother's wedding. On Thursday, I was with Puri, the Spanish teacher. She was really fun. I didn't help much with spanish because it was kind of a game day. We played bingo and I read the numbers in spanish to the kids. Puri's last class of the day was a hip-hop dance class. It turned out to be less dancing more fooling around, but it was really fun. 

There isn't too much else to say besides I loved the kids. Apparently they really liked me too, because they were all sad to see me go on my last day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment